Responsible for executing, planning, and analyzing warehousing and distribution current and future needs. Collaborate between Tempur Sealy (TSI) Departments, third party logistics providers (3PLs), supply vendors, and others both inside and outside the organization to ensure flawless daily flow of product to our customers and raw materials to our 18 TSI plants. Manage the proper daily processing of distribution functions, success of new product introductions, help control costs and manage budgets, and handle any non-conformance in quality of shipping and other tasks as required. Oversee the building / acquisition of all new warehouses to the distribution network and manage their daily activities to meet standards set by TSI Logistics leadership.
Essential Duties, Responsibilities, and Key Results Area:
- Manage all permanent and temporary Tempur Sealy warehouse and distribution centers (currently 13 facilities totaling 2.25 million ft2) operated by internal personnel and third-party logistics (3PL) providers.
- Accountable for 10 Distribution Facilities shipping $1.8 Billion in sales annually and 4.1 Million units
- Accountable for 4 warehouse facilities in the US supporting the US Sealy business
- Accountable for 2 future regional import Distribution Facility handling raw materials and components for the TSI US business
- Accountable for 1 US Fulfillment Center with nationwide delivery of all TSI comfort items totaling 300K annual units
- Accountable for finding and managing all temporary warehouses as required due to volume spikes
- Oversee and manage the expansion of Distribution to include the TSI Import DCs and any other identified needs for warehouse space both temporary and long-term.
- Act as team leader / member for various projects across the network: with internal departments, both 3PLs, one 3PL, several distribution centers, or a single distribution center or even individuals. These projects will usually include members from other departments (Engineering, Customer Service, Call Center, Marketing, Sales, Planning, Transportation, IT, Sourcing, Sealy Plants, Tempur Plants, and others as may be directed from time to time) looking to develop a cross-functional solution for various problems or opportunities.
- Play a key role driving changes in the network through implementing standard work, making existing processes more efficient, looking for solutions to recurring problems, and building cross-functional teams to make these changes sustainable.
- Manage day-to-day operations of 13 TSI distribution centers and act as the primary TSI representative to the internal personnel and multiple 3PLs for day-to-day operations and processes.
- Manage a $30 million budget and manage the end of month closeout process for Distribution. Provide forward-looking guidance to finance regarding Distribution costs and accruals.
- Represent Distribution as subject matter expert in internal and external meetings / calls / projects.
Other primary duties and responsibilities include the following; however, Management reserves the right to assign or reassign other appropriate duties to this job at any time. This document excludes the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties.
Ideal Candidate Possesses These Attributes:
- Strong operational experience and knowledge; experience as an Operations or Distribution Center Manager is a plus.
- Experience with third party logistics providers is required.
- Transportation and fleet management experience desired
- Experience and understanding of execution in a labor contract environment
- Flexible and adaptive management style and able to function cross-functionally in a dynamic retail environment.
- Ability to present project and operational results to executive leadership and other managers
Internal and External Interfaces:
Member of Operations / Logistics organization
- Reports to: Sr Manager, US Distribution
- Customer Service
- Demand/Supply Planning
- Executive Leadership
- Reverse Logistics Joint Venture (Burlington Mattress)
- Third Party Logistics Providers
- External suppliers
- Minimum of 7-10 years' experience in distribution / logistics management required
- Project management experience in distribution center / warehouse environments and transportation routing, preferably with furniture or other large items.
- Experience managing annual budgets exceeding $25MM. Managing multiple budget accounts simultaneously is preferred.
- 5+ years of leading cross functional teams
- 5+ years of budget and costing experience.
To perform this job successfully, the employee must be capable of performing each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements herein are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Work Environment/Physical Requirements: Fast-paced corporate office environment. Some stress may occur. Regular travel is expected in this position (minimum 25%).
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties, responsibilities, and key results of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties, responsibilities, and key results outlined herein.