Our client is a mid-sized 3PL in Reno NV serving retail, e-commerce and CPG industries with dedicated and expedited trucking, warehousing, and freight brokerage. The trucking fleet runs in 48 states but focuses on the western states. It is comprised of 200 tractors, 500 dry vans and 300 drivers. Rapid growth is increasing the need to attract more drivers and retain them with a positive, productive and rewarding work environment. Therefore, the company created a new, dedicated leadership position, the Director of Driver Recruitment & Retention, reporting to the VP of Fleet Operations.
The Director will supervisor 3 direct reports to manage driver sourcing, selection, qualification, offer negotiation, on-boarding and retention. An ideal candidate will demonstrate success and knowledge of the trucking industry and leading practices in driver recruitment and retention. This is a critically important role, promoting the company’s positive culture and sourcing the lifeblood of the trucking operation—outstanding drivers!
Our client offers very competitive compensation, including base salary, performance bonuses, full benefits and relocation support.
- Define the program for company promotion, sourcing, driver qualification, hiring and on-boarding of new drivers.
- Collaborate with operations to understand driver requirements and support on-boarding, metrics and retention.
- Provide leadership, training, and a positive and productive work environment to recruiting personnel.
- Conduct daily interviews to qualify candidates and facilitate interviews with Operations leaders.
- Explain the company’s transportation services, operating policies, safety standards and compensation.
- Perform background checks to qualify drivers and track safety and performance of company drivers.
- Define and recommend retention strategies, effectiveness metrics and driver management practices.
- Communicate regularly with drivers to gather feedback on working conditions and ideas to promote retention.
- Work with Operations leadership to continuously improve and implement recruitment and retention programs.
- Analyze driver performance, incentive pay and company financial results to assess program effectiveness.
- Stay informed of emerging trends and technology to maximize overall recruiting strategy.
- Minimum of 10 years of recruiting experience with extensive focus on driver recruitment.
- At least 3 years of management responsibility, providing training and leadership to a recruiting team.
- Ability to motivate, train, lead and evaluate the performance of recruiting personnel.
- Demonstrated success in developing strategies for driver recruitment and retention.
- Demonstrated knowledge of leading practices and technologies, including applicant tracking systems (ATS).
- Familiarity with trucking industry trends, regulatory issues and compliance practices.
- Articulate and respectful communicator with the ability to identify talent and promote the company.
- Strong organizational skills and positive attitude for managing a high-level of recruiting activity.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, especially to accommodate driver availability for interviews.
- Ability to travel periodically to promote driver recruitment.
- Proficient with MS Outlook, Excel, Word and Power Point.
- Prior experience as an OTR driver or driver manager is relevant, but not necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred, but not required if work experience can demonstrate abilities.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirement for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Careers.org gives you access to over a million jobs and career opportunities across the US including in Phoenix.
Find your perfect job and apply directly through a simply online application process