College Profile: East Carolina University
East Carolina University is a public, coeducational, doctoral/research university located in Greenville, North Carolina, United States. Named East Carolina University by statute and commonly known as ECU or East Carolina, the university is the largest institution of higher learning in eastern North Carolina and the third-largest university in North Carolina. With a Fall 2008 enrollment of 27,947 students, it is the fastest-growing campus in the University of North Carolina system.[update needed] The North Carolina General Assembly founded ECU on March 8, 1907 as a teacher training school and selected Greenville as its seat on July 2, 1908 with the first classes beginning in 1909. While East Carolina has historical strengths in education, nursing, business, music, theater, and medicine, it offers over 100 Bachelor degree areas of study including mathematics, hospitality management, engineering, construction management, computer science, exercise physiology, political science, social work,and environmental health. East Carolina's name changed from East Carolina Teachers Training School (ECTTS) in 1907 to East Carolina Teachers College (ECTC), then East Carolina College (ECC), and finally, in 1967, to East Carolina University (ECU). The change in its name reflects the changed mission. Originally the school was established to train teachers for North Carolina, specifically the eastern part of the state. Today, ECU continues to serve eastern North Carolina in a larger capacity. The medical school brings much needed medical care to the impoverished area. In early August 2007, it was announced that the General Assembly had approved and Governor Easley signed the budget to include $25 Million for a new School of Dentistry. The Small Business Institute, through the College of Business, offers assistance and advice to small business owners. East Carolina has grown from 43 acres (17 ha) in 1907 to almost 1,400 acres (567 ha) today. The university today is located on four properties: main, hospital/health science, west research facility, and the Mattamuskeet field station. The seven undergraduate colleges, two undergraduate schools, graduate school, and one professional school are all located on these four properties. The majority of the non-allied health majors are located on the main campus. The School of Nursing, Brody School of Medicine, and some of the Allied Health majors are located on the hospital/health science campus. There are nine social sororities ,16 social fraternities, four historically black sororities, five historically black fraternities, one Native American fraternity, and one Native American sorority. Along with Greek life, there are over 300 registered clubs on campus.
252-328-6610 (financial aid)
||Public, 4-year or above|
||20,000 and above|
|Title IV Eligibility
||Participates in Title IV federal financial aid programs|
College Student Services Offered
||Academic/career counseling service|
||Employment services for students||Yes
||Placement services for completers|
||On-campus day care for students' children||
College Special Learning Opportunities
||Distance learning opportunities|
||ROTC: Air Force||
Sources: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
East Carolina University Website
Admissions Considerations & Recommendations
|Open admission policy
|Admission test scores
|TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language
Applicants (most recent fall period)
Admissions (most recent fall period)
Percentage of Students Submitting Test Scores
SAT Percentile Scores
ACT Percentile Scores
Percentage Receiving Financial Aid
Average Amount of Financial Aid Received
Average Tuition for Full-Time Undergraduates
Average Tuition for Full-Time Graduates
Comprehensive Fee for Full-Time Undergraduates
Per Credit Hour Charge for Part-Time Undergraduates
Per Credit Hour Charge for Part-Time Graduates
||Student Body Size||Yes
||Total Dormitory Capacity|
College Levels Offered
||Less than one year certificate||No
||One but less than two years certificate|
||Two but less than 4 years certificate|
All Academic Programs
- City/Urban, Community and Regional Planning.
- Area, Ethnic, Cultural, and Gender Studies, Other.
- Broadcast Journalism.
- Computer Science.
- Adult and Continuing Education Administration.
- Education/Teaching of Individuals with Specific Learning Disabilities.
- Counselor Education/School Counseling and Guidance Services.
- Special Education and Teaching, General.
- Kindergarten/Preschool Education and Teaching.
- Art Teacher Education.
- English/Language Arts Teacher Education.
- Family and Consumer Sciences/Home Economics Teacher Education.
- Sales and Marketing Operations/Marketing and Distribution Teacher Education.
- Music Teacher Education.
- Reading Teacher Education.
- Social Studies Teacher Education.
- Drama and Dance Teacher Education.
- German Language Teacher Education.
- Spanish Language Teacher Education.
- Engineering, General.
- Industrial Technology/Technician.
- Industrial Production Technologies/Technicians, Other.
- Computer Engineering Technology/Technician.
- Engineering Technologies/Technicians, Other.
- French Language and Literature.
- Foods, Nutrition, and Wellness Studies, General.
- Family and Community Services.
- English Language and Literature, General.
- Liberal Arts and Sciences/Liberal Studies.
- Biology/Biological Sciences, General.
- Cell/Cellular Biology and Histology.
- Physiology, General.
- Physiology, Pathology, and Related Sciences, Other.
- Mathematics, General.
- Parks, Recreation and Leisure Facilities Management.
- Health and Physical Education/Fitness, Other.
- Chemistry, General.
- Physics, General.
- Clinical Psychology.
- Health/Medical Psychology.
- Public Administration.
- Applied Economics.
- Political Science and Government, General.
- Dance, General.
- Drama and Dramatics/Theatre Arts, General.
- Fine/Studio Arts, General.
- Music Performance, General.
- Audiology/Audiologist and Speech-Language Pathology/Pathologist.
- Health Information/Medical Records Administration/Administrator.
- Athletic Training/Trainer.
- Medicine (MD).
- Marriage and Family Therapy/Counseling.
- Nursing Science (MS, PhD).
- Pharmaceutics and Drug Design (MS, PhD).
- Environmental Health.
- Public Health Education and Promotion.
- Occupational Therapy/Therapist.
- Therapeutic Recreation/Recreational Therapy.
- Dietetics/Dietitian (RD).
- Non-Profit/Public/Organizational Management.
- Business/Office Automation/Technology/Data Entry.
- Hospitality Administration/Management, General.
- Management Information Systems, General.
- History, General.
- Women's Studies.
- Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric.
- Educational/Instructional Media Design.
- Educational Leadership and Administration, General.
- Education/Teaching of Individuals with Mental Retardation.
- Special Education and Teaching, Other.
- Elementary Education and Teaching.
- Junior High/Intermediate/Middle School Education and Teaching.
- Teacher Education and Professional Development, Specific Levels and Methods, Other.
- Business Teacher Education.
- Health Teacher Education.
- Technology Teacher Education/Industrial Arts Teacher Education.
- Mathematics Teacher Education.
- Physical Education Teaching and Coaching.
- Science Teacher Education/General Science Teacher Education.
- Technical Teacher Education.
- French Language Teacher Education.
- History Teacher Education.
- Teacher Education and Professional Development, Specific Subject Areas, Other.
- Computer Software Engineering.
- Manufacturing Technology/Technician.
- Construction Engineering Technology/Technician.
- Engineering/Industrial Management.
- German Language and Literature.
- Spanish Language and Literature.
- Child Development.
- Apparel and Textiles, General.
- Technical and Business Writing.
- Library Science/Librarianship.
- Molecular Biology.
- Medical Microbiology and Bacteriology.
- Exercise Physiology.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Other.
- Multi-/Interdisciplinary Studies, Other.
- Kinesiology and Exercise Science.
- Geology/Earth Science, General.
- Psychology, General.
- School Psychology.
- Criminal Justice/Safety Studies.
- Social Work.
- Economics, General.
- Interior Design.
- Art/Art Studies, General.
- Art History, Criticism and Conservation.
- Music Theory and Composition.
- Health/Health Care Administration/Management.
- Physician Assistant.
- Clinical Laboratory Science/Medical Technology/Technologist.
- Substance Abuse/Addiction Counseling.
- Nursing/Registered Nurse (RN, ASN, BSN, MSN).
- Nursing, Other.
- Public Health, General (MPH, DPH).
- Occupational Health and Industrial Hygiene.
- Music Therapy/Therapist.
- Physical Therapy/Therapist.
- Vocational Rehabilitation Counseling/Counselor.
- Business Administration and Management, General.
- E-Commerce/Electronic Commerce.
- Accounting and Business/Management.
- Finance, General.
- International Business/Trade/Commerce.
- Marketing/Marketing Management, General.
- Public/Applied History and Archival Administration.
Question and Answer about "East Carolina University"
No questions found...